The hope for this new tradition, is to have "bird's nest" makings stored in the pantry, and as soon as the first momma robin is spotted in the emerging spring - we get to throw a "Spring is Coming!!!" party!
The boys spotted their first momma robin today! I have been waiting for at least 3 years to have this impromptu party. This is the first year that the older two have been old enough to be productive with the mess of "making bird's nests". And did they ever enjoy it!!!!! They saw the robin, and supplies in hand, I promised them a surprise and a party, but they had to wait for Declan to lay down for his nap. Oh the agony, mom. ;)
As soon as Declan was headed to the bedroom, Camden and Quin were begging for the surprise. We laid out all the ingredients, and the boys were so excited about the process. All that chocolate & sugar!!! We melted the chocolate chips, smothered the noodles in the chocolate, and started building the nests. Quin was so excited that EACH nest got a momma bird, "just like you mama!" (melt my heart!) Between the two of them, placing the momma bird and the eggs, they laughed enough to melt away the hard memories of so much of this last year. Quin insisted that each nest overflow with eggs, which prompted Camden to proclaim all of the eggs "mei mei" (little sisters). (Camden has his heart set on 5 new little sisters - not one, but five! So the nests with momma birds and all the little chicklets must have prompted his excitement for his hopeful new sisters.)
While we waited for the birds nests to dry, and for Declan to wake up so that we could go to the park, we played with letters, spelling out S-P-R-I-N-G. They were so giggly with excitement. We got the stroller out, loaded it with bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and the chocolate treats.
Declan didn't keep us waiting long, he must have felt the excitement. With Declan in the stroller, and the other two shouting at the top of their lungs, "Spring is coming! Spring is coming!!!!" we headed to the park in our apartment complex. We stopped in to the apartment office to see if our friend Lynn was there, and gave her a "Spring is Coming!!!" bird's nest. It was so fun to hear Camden and Quin explain to Lynn about the nests and about spring, new life, and allllll about the chocolate nests.
Outside, our emerging spring did not disappoint us, we found pansies blooming, and a rabbit nibbling on the little bit of green grass that he could find. At the park, Daddy surprised us. He squeezed time in the middle of all his appointments and met us at the park to enjoy our wonderful 55 degree day! Camden and Quin were so excited to be let loose on the playground. Oh, it has been such a long winter. The slides, the swings, the climbing rock wall, all brought such delight to these little guys who have been bound up inside our little apartment all winter long. And Declan, sweet Declan - RAN all over the playground! The last time we were at this park, he was still hanging out in the stroller watching the other two having fun. No longer! He loved the slide! And loved the freedom of being independent and the wind blowing on his face. We blew bubbles, and all three boys giggled with delight as they chased the bubbles all over the green space around the park. They filled their pockets with rocks for the first time of the season. Can I tell you how excited I am to check their pockets before throwing them in the washing machine? Beyond thrilled, it means spring has arrived!










10 comments:
I got teary eyed over Quinn's comment about the eggs having a momma, like you. sniff sniff. What a tender surprising heart he has. What a fun thing to do with your children! And it has been a long winter. I love how they got to spend time at the park with daddy coming as a surprise. You are blessed my friend. :)
So fun!! Maybe in a couple weeks we can have a party like that! Ha, Ha! JD gave us a phenology study, that's the things as they happen in the seasons. Really cool.We're still waiting for a bird.
What a fun idea! Sooo sweet to see the guys little faces. I can only imagine all the great comments to go with those expressions.
I want to be a copy cat with the bird nests! One of mine announced a few days ago, " The birds are back! " Yahoo for spring.
WOW! What a wonderful idea and an awsome way to celebrate. My kids would love it and it isn't too late for us to try to do it this year!
O Spring! O Spring!
You beautiful thing.
I feel like a King.
O Spring!
Pefect for your prince and his brother with very good manners.
Hey Dayla,
You said to drop a line when I stopped by the blog. So hidey ho! I love all the pictures. What a great idea. I love the bird's nests. Wish I was close enough to get in that action. Maybe someday... Love you and miss you. Elizabeth
Missed you guys on Sunday :(
Give everyone a hug from me!
~A on Team Taiwan
Dayla,
I'm just getting a hold of you this way, because I don't know an easier one. Holly said you're coming down and staying at their house? Awesome we get to be neighbors for a bit! Anyway, she said you guys need a place to stay wed-sat. I don't know if you have found one, but you could stay at Jim and Helen's condo wed-fri, fri nite is when the CHEC team including scott and andie are coming for our mini conference here. This might just make it more complex, but maybe it would help. You could also stay with us that fri night, but it would involve air mattresses, couches and floors. We're up for it if you need it. Just let me know. And we want to hang out a little too!
Hey Dayla,
Laurie B forwarded info about your blog. So good to see your sweet family...what precious boys you have! We should be traveling to Ethiopia within the next few weeks to pick up our newest blessings. You can see pictures at
www.ok4life.com
Blessings to you!
Dawn Davis
Hi,
I'm hoping you check your comments! You entered the drawing on my blog for the Taiwan necklace from The Adopt Shoppe. So far, you're my only entry... so check back on January 25th, cuz you've got a good chance at winning! :)
Hi Dayla,
Hope this finds you well. I'm Katrina from Taiwan.
Remember me? We met in Taipei and I helped you with some interpreting service.
Hope you can get this message. If you do, please reach me at katrinacamburides@gmail.com, I need to talk to you.
Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Katrina :)
Post a Comment